Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Our New Kawasaki 2014 Teryx


 
Since we moved to our place in Lampasas County I put together around 200 acres of grazing land to run a small meat sheep operation.  We now have around 100 head of Dorper and Dorper/Croix ewes.  We also have a pureblood Dorper and a Registered Royal White Ram for the ewes along with a guard llama.  To make a long story short checking water troughs, fixing fence, putting out mineral along with just feeding and checking on the sheep and the place each day takes quite a bit of time and burns gasoline up in my truck like it is going out of style.  The constant use of my truck was also wearing it out a lot quicker than normal drive time.  I decided I needed something to just work around the place.  A couple of my buds have Polaris Rangers that they use constantly so I decided to look for a used one.  I soon found that most wanted almost what a new one cost for their used one with no warranty.  If they were priced in my range they had lots of hours or were wore out.  I then priced the new ones and had sticker shock for sure and they only had a six month warranty plus doors, roof and a lot of other things were extra cost.

I was looking on a UTV forum for a used UTV when I saw a thread about a new Kawasaki UTV called the Teryx and that they had a three year warranty.  The more I researched the more impressed I was with what I was reading from new owners and the off road magazines.  I then went to look at one and was convinced this was the machine I needed for our place.  The Teryx also had a lot of the things that cost extra on other UTVs included in the price.  I then started trying to find a place that would give me a good deal and what an ordeal that turned out to be until I called Central Texas Power Sports in Georgetown, Texas.  The guys there beat all the other places prices and were a no hassle group.  They did not try to put a heavy hand on for accessories or extended warranties so when I need something for my Teryx guess where I will be going to get it.  My trailer was too narrow to haul the Teryx so I needed to get a wider utility trailer and it was not going to be in for around two weeks.  The guys at Texas Power Sports loaned me a trailer to take our new Teryx home so I did not have to wait on mine.  You will find the Teryx to be wider than most any other UTV in its class.

I bought the two seat 2014 Kawasaki Teryx Camo and so far I am pretty impressed with it.  Every time my wife drives it she has a smile on her face, she goes on about what great shocks are on the Teryx and how smooth the ride around the place is compared to my truck or her explorer.  This last week we needed to move the portable pens by the barn about three feet.  I was not looking forward to unhooking all the panels just to move it that short distance and there was no way to move the hundreds of pounds pen by pushing it.  I back edup the Teryx and hooked a chain to the hitch and wrapped it around the corner of the pens, shifted to low four wheel drive and moved the pens like it was nothing. I will do a more in depth review after I have used it a while longer.  We are already wanting to add a gun rack and possibly a half windshield after all the below freezing weather we have had in the last few weeks. The rest of this week’s blog will be some specs and stuff on our Teryx but I just wanted to say if you are looking at a Kawasaki or even a Polaris go by or call Richard Marshall or any of the other guys at Central Texas Power Sports, I think they will save you some money and time.  You can reach them at 512-948-9922 Tell them Wild Ed sent you.
This is a pretty good video about the Teryx Camo 2014


2014 Kawasaki Teryx 800 Camo SxS Specifications
Engine:Liquid-cooled, 90-degree, four-stroke V-twin
Valve system:SOHC, four valves per cylinder
Displacement:783cc
Starting system:Electric
Bore x stroke:85.0 x 69.0mm
Compression ratio:10.7:1
Fuel system:DFI® with two 36mm Mikuni throttle bodies
Ignition:TCBI w/ electronic advance
Transmission:Continuously variable belt-drive transmission w/ high and low range, reverse, and a wet centrifugal clutch
Final drive:Selectable four-wheel drive w/ locking front differential, shaft
Frame:Double-X reinforced design using large-diameter, thin-walled, high-tensile tubular steel
Front suspension / wheel travel: Dual A-arm w/ new piggyback reservoir coil-over FOX Podium shocks, with adjustable spring preload and 24-way compression damping / 8.0 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: Independent Rear Suspension (IRS) w/ new piggyback reservoir coil-over FOX Podium shocks, with adjustable spring preload and 24-way compression damping / 8.3 in.
Front tires: Maxxis 26x9-12
Rear tires: Maxxis 26x11-12
Front brakes:Dual hydraulic discs w/ 2-piston calipers
Rear brake:Sealed, oil-bathed, multi-disc
Overall length:117.3 in.
Overall width:61.6 in.
Overall height:76.8 in.
Wheelbase:85.8” in.
Ground clearance:11.0 in.
Lighting:(2) High-Intensity LED headlights, (2) 8 W taillights, 24 W stoplight
Cargo bed capacity:600 lbs., 43.3 W x 27.6 L x 10.4 in. H
Towing capacity:1,300 lbs.
Curb weight:1,558.2 lbs.
Fuel capacity:7.9 gal.
Instruments:Multi-function digital meter w/ speedometer, fuel gauge, clock hour meter, odometer, dual trip meter and parking-brake indicator, R/N/P/4WD, water temp and low-oil-pressure indicators
Colors:Realtree APG HD camouflage$14,299
MSRP $14,299
Warranty: Kawasaki Strong 3 Year Limited Warranty

No comments: