Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Jose Wejebe Killed In Plane Crash




Jose Wejebe was born in Cuba. His family fled Castro and he grew up fishing in Southern Florida. I have been watching Jose along with Flip, Lefty, Chico and others on their outdoor fishing shows for decades. I have even traveled to fly fishing shows just to meet these guys. I learned to fly fish in the clear streams and creeks in the Texas Hill Country and later to cast on the windy flats of the Texas Gulf Coast for Redfish and Trout. I still feel as if Jose and the others on his show were my private instructors each week and looked forward to each new Spanish Fly fishing show every week. I hope they keep running it for a long time.


When he wasn't fishing Jose was often working with the Big Brother, Big Sister, Make a Wish and other youth charities.  Jose was killed in a plane crash on April 9th while flying a private plane in which he was the only occupant. Our prayers and thoughts go out to the family of Jose. Jose will be missed by fly fisherman the world over and remembered by many of us every time we cast a fly over clear waters. Jose, I hope that where ever you are the water is clear, the wind lays and the fish are hitting hard. Thanks for all the lessons, Wild Ed


No comments: