Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Texas Pecan Pralines








In my family the Christmas season is a time of unbelievable foods. The real treat as I was growing up was the homemade candies. We often had fudge, divinity and other treats. One I always liked was made from Ritz crackers spread with peanut butter and covered in chocolate, which I will pass on to you at a later date. My favorite was Pecan Pralines. Not the chewy Southern type but the hard sugary mexican type of praline. I thought some of you might like to try your hand at making them. Here is the way I do it.

Texas Style Mexican Pralines

½ Stick Butter (melted)
1 cup White Sugar
1 cup Brown Sugar
2 cups Pecan halves
¾ cup Evaporated Milk (small can)
1 teaspoon Vanilla

Mix sugar, milk and butter together. Heat until boiling then add pecans and vanilla.
Cook until a drop dropped into a glass of cold water forms a ball. The first drops you put into the water will be stringy, then as the candy cooks the drops will flatten and finally when the candy is ready the drops will form a ball when dripped off a spoon into the glass of water. At this stage remove from heat and beat with spoon. When the mixture is cooling and starting to get hard drop onto wax paper and let harden.
Merry Christmas, Wild Ed

No comments: