Monday, October 4, 2010

Freshwater Fish of Texas Field Guide Review









My wife and I ,or mostly me, have become interested in keeping native fish in an aquarium. She is great about supporting my wild ideas about all the stuff I bring home. I felt like it would be a great way to get the grand kids interested in learning the different species of native Texas fish. I ordered a little field guide that has impressed me with the pictures and how well they actually show the fish. We have been able to identify every fish we have caught in our nets with this little book. Many of the minnows, chubs and shiners are hard to identify but this little guide shows the differences well. It has a lot of information on each species and where they are found along with great color illustrations of each fish and sometimes both sexes if they are colored differently. The pages are coated with some kind of waterproof substance that performed very well on the creek this last weekend. As no one gives me books to recommend I only recommend what I buy and like. This is one of those you should have. Have a great time on the water, Wild Ed

3 comments:

tjansen said...

Neat animals out there in the wild. I used to snorkel in Florida in the small ponds. Amazing what you would see. The ponds would have the assortment of Bream , sun fish, Bass, minnows, shrimp, and turtles. The rivers that emptied into the Gulf would have Flounder as far as 5 miles up from the gulf, blue crabs, sting rays, horse shoe crabs, all in the fresh water and I am sure they would survive in a tank in the house. I had a small tank with filter , gravel, light , just the standard 2 to 3 foot long tank. I would get grass shrimp and minnows and warmouth and sunfish and have a few of each in the tank and plenty of "bait" When the bait ran out I went back to the pond with my dip net or cast net and get more. Fun to see and only cost gas and time. Something fairly cheap at that time in life.
Enjoy the fish. I enjoy your Blog.
Tom

Wild Ed said...

Thanks for the kind words. I felt like a kid chasing minnows and sunfish up and down the creek until my wife showed me the picture she took of this old gray haired fat guy throwing a cast net. Ed :)

Albert A Rasch said...

Pictures by the Mrs... why do we always look like we have seen better days? I'm sure there is something wrong with the camera, the card, or the angle it was taken at!

But thank you for the review. It's nice to have the unvarnished truth on things like that to help a person make a smart decision.

Best Regards,
Albert A Rasch™
Pictures from the Front: Kandahar Airfield Bread Maker