Friday, June 18, 2010

Texas Style Green Fried Tomatoes






My wife tends a small garden at her father's place. Last night she brought home some fresh vegetables along with several large green tomatoes that I requested that she pick early. I had not had fried green tomatoes in years and wanted to fry them up for a meal. I thought that since I was going to the trouble to bread and fry the tomatoes I would do a smorgasbord of fresh fried vegetables from the garden and it turned out to be a wonderful dinner if not heavy on the fried side of the scale. Sometimes you just have to have some things boiled in hot oil, if you know what I mean. The following is how they were prepared.

I first scrubbed all the tomatoes, okra, yellow squash, potatoes, peppers and zucchini. All were then sliced and put in the buttermilk egg wash consisting of one cup of buttermilk and one egg whipped together to make the wash.

The breading was 1 cup of yellow cornmeal and 1 cup of flour. To this I added JalapeƱo salt; garlic powder and brisket rub for seasoning.

The vegetables were taken from the wash and dropped into the breading. I made sure all were coated well and put them into hot olive oil to fry. See, I used olive oil so it would be a health conscious meal. When they floated or turned golden brown they were removed and put on paper towels to drain. Ketchup and Ranch Dressing were put on the table as condiments and with a glass of cold fresh brewed tea it was a meal to be remembered or repeated the next time we have fresh vegetables from the garden. I had forgotten just how good fresh green fried tomatoes can taste, Wild Ed

1 comment:

Bill Trussell said...

Wild Ed
You are talking my kind of food. Good down home southern cooking. I was raised on food like that---made me the southern guy I am today. Great Post!