Friday, October 10, 2008

Field Bred Bird Dogs Vs Show Bred Dogs


I have owned and trained several different bird dog breeds in the last 40 years and all have their greatness and shortcomings. I have settled on one breed for now and owned one of those special dogs that excels in all that it does for about 10 years. In his lifetime this dog hunted, flushed and retrieved pheasant, quail, snipe and dove. He did small pond, lake and river retrieves for duck and dove. He blood trailed deer and feral hogs for our ranch hunting operation. And most of all he was always ready to go wherever whenever with a great attitude no matter if it was hot or cold. He listened to every thing I had to say with concern and caring in his eyes. He loved me unconditionally no matter what state of mind I was in and no matter what I had done. He gave 110% all the time even if he did not understand what I wanted.


About 6 months ago I started looking for another pup to be our hunter and companion. The breed I have chosen is the Field Bred English Springer Spaniel. I have found several litters that I had an interest in but did not buy a pup for one reason or another. The main reason is because people do not know what they have or what they are breeding. Some of what I am going to say some will more than likely disagree with but most hunting breeders would yell Amen! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A COMBINATION SHOW AND FIELD TRIAL CHAMPION DOG PERIOD. No Field Trial Champion would ever do well in a show as they are physically built for different purposes. Some Show clubs are now holding hunting trials but they can not compete with the real field dogs. I have seen litters this year where the owners bred a Show champion to a Field Trial Champion and were advertising the pups as hunters. Unfortunately the show and field bred are both AKC registered and considered the same breed. I wish that somehow they would be considered a separate breed and denied registration if crossed as the mixed dog does no justice to either side. They may hunt but they will not excel at show or hunting. I have also seen field bred litters where they owners were not hunters and had docked the tails to little stubs like a show dog instead of leaving a field length tail on the pups and I ended up passing on the pups because of this. If you are going to breed dogs at least have enough gumption to know what you have and what to do in order to keep the line pure. Also do the research to know what length of tail the dogs should have and have pedigrees on hand to show prospective owners. If you would like more information on this I would refer you to an excellent site on Field Bred English Springer Spaniels http://www.essft.com/fieldshow.html



For additional information there is a very good magazine available for Field Bred Spaniel fans. Here is the link: http://www.spanielsinthefield.com/





In my opinion the Field Bred English Springer Spaniel is the finest all round bird dog in the world and one of the best members of the household you can find. If you feel this way about another breed I understand and hope you enjoy them like I enjoy Springers. I wish that each of you find a special dog in your life just once.
Good Hunting, Wild Ed


Here are two Texas litters of Field Bred English Springer Spaniels that are bred they way they should be. These have the blood to be Field Champions or make a lifetime hunting companion. If you are looking for a great hunting dog this is the kind I recommend.


FIELD BRED ESSs 2mth DOB 8-28-08 $495
L/W 3 Females and 2 Males
Sire: AFC FC Marshbrook Viking Dam: Blue Pheasants Betsy(AFC Burcliffs Hobo MH x Highlander’s Mirthful Miss MH) AFC Tridon Spontaneous Combustion SH on the Dam side Sire and Dam both are PFK free, Eyes clear, and hips good! Pedigree on Request

Contact: James Sprouse 281-960-5157



FIELD BRED ESSs 1mth Whelped - 09 August 2008 $600
6 Black/White Females Only
Sire: Bournepark Bronte (UK)(Parkbreck Ixora x Bournepark Esther)
Dam: Southeast Texas Scooter Pie(FC AFC Bricksclose Matchwood x FC Jordi Jess)
Dewclaws removed and tails field docked First set of vaccinations given and dewormed

Contact phone number (281) 485-1164

No comments: