Tuesday, November 6, 2007

VENISON STEW

Rob from the Airgun Sport forum http://www.network54.com/Forum/543831/
sent the following comments and question. I thought some of you might also like to make a venison stew when the cold weather hits.

Message: Hello sir...

Been reading your blog and love the recipes. Got two deer this year, one with Blackpowder and one with the DAQ. Haven’t posted on the one taken with the airgun but I do have pictures. Nice big doe.

Prepped the deer as per your instructions on the blog. Had some steaks the other day. Turned out nice, but dry. I had not done the steaks per your instructions. Will do so next go round.

Anyway, I wanted to make a stew next week and was hoping you had a great recipe for venison stew...?

Love the site, Ed. If you end up with a cookbook, please let me know, I would like to purchase it.

Rob in NC






Venison Stew

Thanks for the comments Rob. Be sure and cook your venison steaks on the rare side of medium or they will get to dry quick. For stew I coat my venison with flour and brown in oil. Then I put it in a crock pot or stew pot and add the usual, potatoes, carrots, onions, bell pepper, mushrooms etc. Season to taste with cracked pepper, salt, garlic and thyme. I then use a can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of golden mushroom soup, fill the rest of pot with water. Mix all and cook long and slow until the meat will break up with a fork. Stir in a little Kitchen Bouquet Browning Sauce to get a good brown color. If you need to thicken use flour shaken in a jar with water. I put a little Louisiana hot sauce on the stew when served. If you like you can serve it over rice, noodles or with dumplings. To make dumplings just mix an egg, a little oil, flour, baking powder, parsley and water to a spoon drop consistency. Drop in the Stew and cover. Simmer on low until done and enjoy. Good cooking, Wild Ed

No comments: