Thursday, April 2, 2020

Turkey Jerky


Turkey Jerky

 
 
If you are lucky enough to tag a turkey this year you then need to decide how best to use the meat.  I have found a wild turkey to be much less moist and juicy than a domestic bird and it usually comes out to dry if I smoke or roast it.  I have found my favorite way to use up my wild turkey around my house and it does not last long prepared this way.

Cut lean strips of turkey meat, the pieces should be no more than ½ inch thick at the most but as large as you want them. Trim off all fat as it will turn rancid as the meat dries. Fill a large mixing bowl with water and stir in equal amounts of Brown Sugar and Salt until it starts to fall out, kind of like a glass of tea with too much sugar in it.  I find about ½ cup of both works well in my largest mixing bowl.  Stir in 1 Teaspoon of Garlic powder, 1/4 Teaspoon of Allspice ¼ Teaspoon of ground Cloves. Add meat and soak in the brine for 4-8 hours in a refrigerator.  I find that if I leave it over eight hours it will absorb too much salt for my taste.  Remove meat from brine and rinse well in cold water.  Roll or shake on coarse ground black pepper to taste. Do not use table grind black pepper or it will have to strong a pepper taste. Remember course ground pepper  adds flavor,  fine ground adds heat.  Arrange meat on racks in a dehydrator and dry to desired texture.  It takes about 12 hours on my dehydrator set on meat level or around 160 degrees.  Just to make sure it is safe to eat, since it is poultry, I place the dry turkey strips on a rack in a roasting pan and place in an oven preheated to 220 degrees for about twenty minutes. Remove from oven and let cool before bagging in plastic bags.  Place any extra in a bag in the freezer and take out about 2 hours before you intend to eat it.

 This is such a favorite that I now watch for boneless chicken breast on sale at the grocery store just so I can make poultry jerky all year long.  Whether you use turkey or chicken I have a feeling this will become one of your favorite kinds of jerky.

No comments: