Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Take a Kid or a Kid at Heart Fishing




My wife and I lease 100 acres from one of my uncles that borders our place.  Just about 11 months ago we stocked a pond on the place with Channel and Blue Catfish.  The fingerlings were only 4-6 inches long at the time we released them.  Through drought and flood we fed them almost daily.  At one time we thought the pond was going to dry up and just before we were going to have to seine all the fingerlings and take them somewhere else, it rained.  There were times in the last few months that the tank ran around the dam from all the rain and we lost a few fish to the raccoons and water birds.  Cormorants, Herons, Banded Water Snakes, Turtles, Raccoons and other predators have taken their share of the fish but quite a few survived and they grew bigger on the commercial catfish feed. They are now up around a pound with a few even bigger.

We decided to take our 3 1/2 year old grandsons to fish in the pond for their first fishing trip and it was quite an experience.  One loved it and other hated it but a good time was had by all involved.  The next week I took my 76 year old uncle who is an expert fisherman but does not really get to go anymore to the pond and let him fish.  It is really just harvesting the fish more than fishing because they hit almost instantly.  I can tell you that my uncle was all smiles and laughter the whole time. We kept a dozen of the fish he caught and filleted them out for a few catfish dinners.

If you can take a kid out or someone that doesn't get to go fishing anymore, do so, it will make their day and create a memory. I spent most of my time removing hooks, untangling line and putting on fresh bait and it was worth every moment.  By the way those home-raised corn-fed catfish fillets were wonderful.  Wild Ed


2 comments:

ChileFarmer said...

Love that story, And the fish looks wonderful. Nothing better than fresh fish. I to don't get around as well as I used to. But I take my youngest grandson with me, he is 14 years old. Makes me feel safer. We like fishing in ponds and sometime in the river.
Sure pleased to see you posting again, been worried about you. Bill

Wild Ed said...

Bill I had some heart issues and been busy with our old house and the sheep on the place. We have been fighting coyotes and toy ranchers and farmers dogs. It seems everyone moving to the country wants to have large dogs and let them run loose. We have lost 21 lambs that we know of on my place and my brothers. I hate to do it but I am going to sell about half my sheep and get a few cows to hedge my bets. ET