Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Ruger 10/22 Takedown





 
I have owned at least one model of the Ruger 10/22 rifle most of my adult life.  I have bought, shot and traded several of the .22 long rifle models.  I have had a 22 magnum model which I should have never sold and even an experimental .17HMR model with a nice laminated stock that I wish I had kept.  My last 10/22 was mostly just a Ruger 10/22 receiver with after-market trigger, barrel, target optics and stock.  It is a tack driver and both of my girls grew up learning to shoot targets, along with bull frogs, in the stock pond with those guns.  I spent lots of time loading magazines for those two girls to rapidly empty out of those guns along with cleaning a number of frogs for the pan.  I feel for the parents that will not have the memories we made shooting in those days.  If you get the opportunity to shoot with your kids take advantage of it and cherish the time.  I recently taught my oldest granddaughter to shoot with a Ruger .22 and she is already asking when we can do it again.
 I have long wanted a small gun that would break down for backpack carry or to throw in my bags on a trip just in case we were able to work in some small game or varmint shooting.  When Ruger came out with the new light weight takedown model I had the wants real bad.  Along with the current shortage of .22 long rifle ammo there was also a shortage of Ruger 10/22 rifles.  I have been searching for this model for almost a year at some sort of reasonable price.  Thanks to Guns Galore in Killeen, Texas (If you live in the area around Fort Hood or Killeen be sure and stop by Guns Galore it is quite an impressive Gun shop with very helpful and knowledgeable staff) I was able to purchase the new 10/22 Takedown along with a few cartridges to put it through the test phase.

The stainless carbine comes in two pieces with a fiberglass stock in a padded carry case.  Included was a ten round magazine and a scope base that will take weaver style or tip off rings.  The case has enough room to hold optics, ammo, extra magazines and even a small pistol if desired.  The instructions were very clear and the little rifle went together with no problems.  My first test is not a precise accuracy test as it was just a plinking session.  I was able to bust small rocks and shoot cactus apples off of prickly pears out to 50 yards, so until I get a chance to shoot from the bench it will do for ranch work.  I then showed my wife how to assemble/disassemble the rifle and handed it off to her.  She proceeded to annihilate the middle of a cactus pad twenty five steps away.  Upon finishing she looked at me with an ear to ear grin and asked if I was going to get one of the little rifles for myself too? This rifle only weighs a little over 4 1/2 pounds and is a joy for women and kids to handle. I am not sure when I will get to do a full accuracy test from the bench at a measured yardage as I will now have to borrow the rifle to finish my testing. 

There are at least a hundred videos on YouTube about the Ruger 10/22 Takedown so you can go there and learn all you wanted to know and more.  It is always an education to watch all the different reviews, tests and opinions recorded there.  I am amazed at the information available to us on products these days.  The following is taken from the Ruger website where you can get downloads, watch videos and shop for some neat accessories including the BX-25 magazine.  The little rifle is typical of a Ruger 10/22 and will most likely outlast most of us.  There are all sorts of after-market add on products to please most anyone.  It looks like we may leave this one just like it came open sights and trigger as its purpose is a pack or truck rifle that will fit in a small place.  I will leave all the add on stuff for our target models.  All in all I am quite pleased with the little takedown carbine and it for sure made my wife smile.  Wild Ed

 


Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR) is proud to introduce the Ruger® 10/22 Takedown™. Readily separated into two subassemblies, the Ruger 10/22 Takedown offers a convenient transport and storage option for the popular Ruger® 10/22®. As reliable and accurate as every 10/22, the Ruger 10/22 Takedown makes it even easier to keep America's favorite rimfire rifle by your side.

 The barrel and for end of the Ruger 10/22 Takedown are easily separated from the action and buttstock by pushing a recessed lever, twisting the subassemblies, and pulling them apart. Reassembly is the reverse of takedown, and is quick and easy. The friction fit lockup of the assembly joint is simple to adjust, but will rarely need re-adjustment after the first assembly. The lockup is secure and repeatable, ensuring an accurate return to zero, even when receiver-mounted optics are used.

 The Ruger 10/22 Takedown is shipped in a ballistic nylon backpack-style case that features internal sleeves which hold the subassemblies. External pockets with MOLLE webbing provide storage for magazines, ammunition, and other accessories. Multiple attachment points for the padded, single shoulder strap offer different carrying options.

 The 4.67-pound Ruger 10/22 Takedown is 37" long when assembled; each subassembly is less than 20 1/4" long when disassembled. Utilizing the standard 10/22 action and ten round rotary magazine (one magazine is provided), the Ruger 10/22 Takedown offers legendary 10/22 reliability in a compact and portable package.

 For more information on the new Ruger 10/22 Takedown, or to learn more about the extensive line of award winning Ruger firearms, visit Ruger. To find accessories for the Ruger 10/22 Takedown, like the 25-round Ruger BX-25® magazine, visit ShopRuger.com.

No comments: