Sunday, December 16, 2012

Texas Cranberry, Cherry, Orange Chutney




With the holidays coming up we are preparing foods for the family Christmas feast get together.  Each of us brings different dishes to my Mom's place for a combined Christmas Eve feast.  Some family members are famous for certain dishes and others are famous for just showing up to eat.  It is probably that way in your family also.  As for me I just bring what my Mom asks unless I have something going on the smoker or have made something special.  This year Mom wanted me to bring Cornbread dressing, gravy and cranberry sauce.  We are also bringing some fresh tamales as they are a Texas Tradition.

I did not want to bring just canned cranberry sauce so I came up with this recipe for a wonderful chutney. I thought some of you might like to try it on your holiday table.  The last ingredient is optional and try just a little in a small sample to decide which way you like it.  I found I prefer just a little vinegar in my chutney but others like to leave the vinegar out.  Which ever way you like it sweet or tangy it beats the heck out of canned cranberry sauce and puts a wonderful smell in the house when cooking.  I hope each of you get to share a Christmas feast with your family, Wild Ed

Cranberry Cherry Orange Chutney

2 bags fresh cranberries

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

2 small oranges diced

1/2 cup dried cherries

2 tsp ground cinnamon

1 tsp ground ginger

1/4 tsp ground cloves

1/4 tsp ground allspice

1 cup orange juice or water

Zest from one small orange.

Apple Cider Vinegar to taste (Optional)

Combine all ingredients except vinegar in a large sauce pan or pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until cranberries pop and juice is released from cranberries, about 15 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until thickened; stirring occasionally. Add vinegar if wanted to taste.  Chill before serving.

No comments: