Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Memorial Day Fishing in Port O' Conner, Texas






While I was finishing the well house at the place my brother, Mike was spending three days fishing with a friend in Port O’ Conner. I talked with him on the phone and he sounded baked and tired. It sounds like he had a good trip, caught fish, but was just plain worn out. The sun and salt water has a way of doing that to you real quick. I have a lot of respect for those people that do it day in and day out. Here are some pictures from Mike’s trip and a short report. Wild Ed





This year has been a busy fishing season for me. I started fishing the waters around Port O’Conner which I have never fished before. The more I explore POC, the more fascinated I have become with the area. My past trips have centered around the jetties and a couple of islands, but this Memorial Day weekend trip was mostly drifting the shallow flats, wading small estuaries and fishing around shoreline structure. A family friend took me out on his flats boat and we spent Friday, Saturday and Sunday exploring the bays. The wind was bad, the crowds were terrible and we had to put in a lot of time and effort to reap the rewards. As the pictures show, it was worth the effort. Just a (painful) reminder to everyone, be very careful when handling all fish and especially hardheads! I have never been finned quite as bad as I was this weekend when a hardhead got my left thumb. The fin hit the bone and it was quite difficult to pull it out. After 15 or so minutes of profuse bleeding, I remembered how painful those wounds can be. My thumb is still swollen to ½ again it’s normal size and I am sure it will remind me for days to come to use a hook remover in the future. Be careful out on the water and remember, life is short, get out and enjoy it!
Tight Lines!
Mike


Mike's Bud with a nice Red


2 comments:

THE FISHING MUSICIAN said...

Nice fish and all it took was one deep wounding in my hand by a hardhead some 40 years ago to teach me to use a pair of needle nosed pliers for holding the fish by the mouth and a larger pair of needle pliers in case you have to go deep to get that hook.

Seems like I read there is some kind of toxin, not fatal certainly, that is contained in the fins of hardheads and that's what makes the finning more painful. Mine was to the bone as well.

Anonymous said...

i liked the right up on the flower and hell i liked every thing i sawry