Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Boat Building Class is Over


After the second hard Saturday of boat building the Austin boat building class was over. My uncle and I brought home our completely assembled boats. They are put together, but we still have to do a lot of sanding and will need to put on the final finish. We are both very proud of our boats and the fact that we built them with our own hands. It is a great feeling of accomplishment to have built something as graceful as this boat with my own work. It has also been a great learning experience for someone that did not know how to use the old time hand tools and has mastered skills that can be used for the rest of my life. I will be taking on more projects in the future but have to finish the final sanding, seal with epoxy and varnish the boat. I can give the highest recommendation for Mike Bull and the Bulwarks boat building class. I am hoping to go to Inks Lake State Park on May 15th and along with other small craft wooden boat builders show off my craft and look at the boats built by others here in Texas. I also hope to put my boat in the water for the first time and see how it paddles. Here are some pictures of my boat in the stage I brought it home. See you on the water. Wild Ed


















Here is a link to the Bulwarks wooden boat school for those of you that want to learn to build your own boat. http://www.bulwarks.us/


Bulwarks is a wooden boat shop located in Austin, Texas that offers classes in wooden boat building.

Canoe Building Class
Over 2 Saturdays, each student will construct a 16’ wooden canoe using basic hand tools and traditional/modern construction techniques.
Centrally located, class is limited to 3 students insuring plenty of individual supervision.
$495 includes tuition and materials.
Each Student Takes Home their OWN Canoe.
At Completion of Course, Boat is ready for painting & launching
Classes Ongoing - Join Any time.
Classes forming Now. Email buildawoodenboat@gmail.com or call 512.769.2553 to Sign Up!

No comments: