Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Texas Style Jug Lining for Catfish


Frank Sansalone, a member of a bowhunting forum to which we both belong is our guest sportsman this week; with a story about Jug-lining for catfish on Texas Rivers and Lakes. It has been many years since I ran some jug lines but I want to get out and do it soon. Maybe Frank will take me some time. I hope you enjoy Frank’s story. Good fishing, Wild Ed


I've been after catfish most of this summer. It's been my latest project. I started on the rivers nearby and learned how to catch Channel Cats. I have fished with some trophy cat fishermen a few times who taught me a lot. Lately I've been running jug lines in the Guadalupe River below Mcqueeny and Placid and am really getting good at it. I've caught a 14 pound Flathead and a few Blue Cats around 20 pounds.I started fishing Lake Travis and getting into bigger fish. My jugs are now fitted with 200 pound fluorocarbon mono that I got dirt cheap in the bargain cave at Cabela’s. Travis has lots of catfish in there. Last night I went out in my kayak. I already have a freezer full of fish so I had 12 big jugs set up with huge 10/0 circle hooks, 200 pound line and 4 pound weights. In the bait well I had 15 live hand sized perch and some huge 7 or 8 inch goldfish I got at a bait store on the way out. I used my motor to get to a wind blown point that is covered with freshwater muscles. I set out the jugs along the point in 12 to 18 foot of water. It was calm so I made good time. I was done by 9:30 pm so I decided to rod and reel fish with some cut shad. By 11 pm the wind started picking up so I reeled in the lines and headed to the jugs. They were not where I left them. Most of the fun with jug lines and a kayak is chasing the fish down. I pulled 6 jugs in and landed 3 fish. A 6 pound blue, a small Flathead and a real nice 24 lb blue cat.
About this time the wind picked up like crazy. I couldn't paddle around so I retreated into some flooded timber. I paddled across from the jugs and then would paddle real hard into the wind and pick them up. I retrieved two more jugs like that but it was getting even worse. Back in the timber I paddled across to another jug and then sat in the dark a while waiting on the wind to die. I was bored so I hit the light to see it again and it was gone. I spotted it way on my left. The big jugs have a 4 pound pipe that holds them in place. This fish towed it away. I paddled across from it once again and decided to go for it. I paddled hard into the wind and caught up to it. When I pulled on the line I felt a slow huge head shake like big sharks do. I was taking in water as wave caps crashed over my yak. I pulled the monster to the surface. It was a huge Flathead around 60 pounds. His head looked to be as wide as my shoulders, just huge. I couldn't get him in and the yak was over ankle deep in water. I let go and paddled to shore. I dumped all the gear and went back after him. Last time the fish was on the wind side of the yak so when I pulled, it tilted the hull and water was getting in. This time I was going to pull him up with the wind at my back so when the yak tilted it would be higher and not take in so much water, big mistake. I almost flipped the yak when he made a run. I decided it's just not worth it so I pulled him up and said goodbye as I cut him loose. What an awesome fish!!!
My problems were not over. I retrieved my gear and jugs and had to track and cut the wind all the way back to the truck because my motor broke. It took 2 hours to get back. In all I paddled almost non stop for 4 hours. I submerged everything in the yak, my camera, wallet, and lots of gear. I have an SD card with lots of cool pics I hope to salvage. I won’t be lake fishing in my yak again. There were some cool falling stars all night long...it was a good trip over all. Frank









Here is a neat video on making catfish jugs. You may wish to scroll to the bottom of the page and pause the music on the playlist before playing the video.


Remember to click on comments below to leave a comment or read the comments from other readers

3 comments:

Albert A Rasch said...

Howdy Ed,

I can't get the link, but coincidently a fellow just caught a 106 lbs flathead somewhere out there, jug fishing!
Albert
Fallow Deer: Hints and Tips
Chronicles Interview: Nebraska Hunting Co

Albert A Rasch said...

Ed,

Found a link to it!

http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/1250743576yae676tgqec

Albert

Wild Ed said...

Albert that fish is huge. My father, brother and I once caught a 47 pound yellow cat out of the Colorado near San Saba, Texas on a trotline. It was hard enough to get that fish in the boat. I may have to get out and do some of this as it brings back lots of good memories. Ed