Tuesday, December 4, 2007

What to Look for in Binoculars

I got the following question from Paul R.
Subject: binoculars
Message: Can you give me a brief overview on why you recommend the binoculars that you recommend on your site and also what is most important when choosing binoculars for falconry/hunting?

Here is the answer I sent him.

Paul, I feel that objective size and weight are two important items for me. I can not afford the real high dollar glass such as the German binoculars so I try and find the best for the money I can spend. I look for an 8-10 power for birding and hunting. If was looking at raptors from a vehicle I would go with 10-12. I also feel you need at least a 40mm objective lens for light gathering. I have had binoculars with smaller objective lens and lose the ability to see clearly at low light conditions such as dawn or dusk. Coated lens are a plus and so are waterproof glasses. All in all you get what you pay for so go to a big sporting goods store and see which are the clearest and feel the best in your hands. We all have different eyes and face shapes, if you wear glasses make sure you can see through them with glasses on as some have poorly designed eye cups for glasses wearers. Another important issue is warranty and service. All this should be looked at when making a binocular purchase. Good Viewing, Wild Ed

No comments: