Sunday, December 2, 2007

TEXAS WILDLIFE ALL AROUND US

I am often surprised by the animals we see while out on the family place in Lampasas County. The place is a little over 300 acres and I am limited to hunting and using about 100 acres of this. The land is only about 15 minutes from downtown and has small tracts and houses on several sides of the place. We have seen numerous hawks such as Coopers and Red Tailed Hawks. I have seen Great Horned Owls and the small Screech Owl that we hear calling at night. I have seen a Peregrine Falcon as it passed on migration to the South. There are the normal Raccoons, Squirrels and Rabbits along with the Texas Armadillo. I have had the secretive Ring-tailed Cat use one of the deer blinds for a house. We have seen Rat snakes, Copperheads and Rattlesnakes along with various grass snakes that I can not identify. When we camp we often hear coyotes and foxes at night and sometimes catch a glimpse of them crossing a pasture.
Yesterday I got a shock but then I should not have been surprised. I was heading out of the place up to the gate on the county road and saw what looked to be a giant jackrabbit sitting in the road. I drove closer not paying attention until something in my brain said stop and pay attention. The creature changed its position somewhat and the ears perked up where I could see them. I was looking at a rather large Bobcat. As I drove closer he turned and trotted into the brush and vanished. What a regal beautiful spotted cat he was. I hope he stays around a long time. Keep your eyes open, Wild Ed

No comments: