Saturday, August 4, 2007

Texas Ranch House and Deer Camp Recipes


I have been collecting some of my favorite Ranch House and Hunting camp recipes for years and am now compiling them into a cookbook. I plan on passing a few recipes on to the readers of this site for as long as I keep it going or until I publish the book. When I was a younger one of my favorite times of year was the Thanksgiving and Christmas Holidays. It was not because of all the gifts but because of hunting season and all the special foods that showed up on our table. Both of my grandmothers were excellent cooks and my mom turned out the most wonderful pies. It was not unusual to have pecan, maple nut, buttermilk, chocolate and chess pies all for the tasting. My favorite was chess. It is a simple pie with a cheesecake like texture and a wonderfully addictive taste. I now pass on this recipe to you but I warn you it can become a habit.
Enjoy, Wild Ed


CHESS PIE

2 CUPS SUGAR
1 CUP MILK
1 TBSP. FLOUR
3 EGGS
1 STICK BUTTER
PINCH SALT
1 TSP. VANILLA
I MIX ALL TOGETHER IN A BLENDER AND POUR INTO A 9 INCH DEEP DISH PIE SHELL. COOK AT 350 DEGREES FOR 45 MINUTES TO ONE HOUR.
I SHAKE IT AND IF IT IS SET IN THE MIDDLE, IT IS DONE.

No comments: